This week I have a very special guest joining me on the podcast, Illinois State Senator Jason Barickman. For a young man of forty, Jason has a wealth of experience in different levels of local and state politics. Today Jason will share with us some of the keys to his success in the political arena since his university days.
I am so excited to have Jason on the podcast today because I know the wisdom he has to impart will help you win your local election! Jason’s success in political campaigns at various levels proves that these tips will work no matter what position you are running for! As Jason says, all politics is local!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why all politics is local– why the size of your race doesn’t matter and why you need to get out and meet people
- How people of influence can help you win– why making strategic relationships with people of influence in your community can help you be successful
- Why working your way up internally helps you- how to make the most of your time and relationships to help set you up for future political success
- How being likeable can help you politically- why you need to be a smiling, personable person to be successfully politically
- How to balance your time– and why you need to make sure to balance all areas of your life to make the most of your time
- How to build a team of volunteers– what you need to do in order to build a good support base for your first political campaign
- Why you need a fundraising schedule and budget– and practical ideas on how you can easily make those goals
- How to make social media work for you- what kinds of things you can post regularly to keep your constituents engaged
State Senator Jason Barickman
Jason Barickman’s Bio:
Jason Barickman was elected to the Illinois State Senate on November 6, 2012, and represents the 53rd Legislative District. He currently serves as minority spokesperson on the Senate Judiciary Committee and is co-chair of the Legislative Audit Commission.
Senator Barickman was raised on a family farm in Livingston County Illinois, and is a proud veteran as a former infantry soldier in the Illinois National Guard. He served as class president at Illinois State University while earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science.
Senator Barickman also graduated from the University of Illinois College of Law and currently is an attorney with Meyer Capel, P.C.
Senator Barickman has been honored for his work in the Illinois General Assembly from agriculture and business groups, while also participating in the inaugural class of the Edgar Fellows Leadership Program.
Jason and his wife, Kristin, live in Bloomington and have two sons.
Transcript: Available here
Thank you for listening!