You just won your election. Congratulations! All of your hard work to campaigning for a local political office has paid off. So now what? Today on Commonwealthy Tina Keats and I will be discussing what you need to make sure to do now that you are a local elected official. Here’s a hint: the hard work is just starting!
I am excited for to cover this topic with Tina today because winning your local election is just the beginning of making a real difference in your community. We want to help you make sure that you make the most out of your time in local office. There are some pitfalls to watch out for there, some things you should think about doing, and ways you should behave.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to keep the right attitude in public office– what you can do to make sure you keep the same attitude you had while campaigning
- Why it is so hard to serve with integrity- what you need to watch out for when serving in a local political office
- What role special interests play in local politics– why you need to watch out for special interests even at the local government level
- How to keep your eye on your goals- what to do to make sure that you stay focused on the topics that matter
- Why you need to keep your campaign alive– why it is important to keep your campaign going even after you won your election
- How to keep in touch with your constituents- what practical things you can do to make sure that you have regular contact with the voters
- What you can do to help others win their election- why you should consider helping other people run for local office once you won your election
Transcript: Available here
Thank you for listening!